Marinernulls Compass Variation (Sunburst)
Show FileMIME type:image/jpegFile Size:83.3 Kb
Classification: Building Furnishings, Bedding, Quilt. Materials and Techniques: Pieced cotton. Style/Period/Movement: Physical Description: The Marinernulls Compass quilt is one of the oldest quilt patterns based on the windrose which was used on nautical maps. The earliest examples of these quilts emerged in 18th century England. The pattern is also known as Chips and Whetstones, The Explosion, Sunburst and Rising Sun (http://www.womenfolk.com/quilt_pattern_history/mariners.htm). This is a red and yellow calico pieced and appliqued quilt. It has compasses on a blue calico background with the same red calico sashing surrounding each compass motif. There is the same blue calico border all around. The back is brown and black stripe with the back fabric folded over the front to form the binding. There is zigzag quilting all over except for the compass area there it follows the compass pattern. There is a paper label on the back of the upper left corner "MOTT" looks as though the "M" and "A" were written over with an "A" and "P". Exhibition History: Dana Room, F&M College, PA, March 29th-April 13 1989. Pennsylvania Treasures. Center Gallery, Bucknell University, December 11, 1989- February 9, 1990 Pennsylvania German Hex Signs. Armory, 33rd and Lancaster Ave. Philadelphia, PA, April 6, - April 11, 1990 The Philadelphia Antiques Show. "Oral Traditions Quilt Symposium, Pennsylvania Treasure Trove," Dana Room, June 15-17, 1990. Rothman Gallery, F&M College, PA, autumn 1992, 1997. Collection or Donor: From the Robert L. Schaeffer Jr. Collection donated to the college in 1987. It is said that Schaeffer (American 1918-2001), an avid collector of American folk art, often crossed paths with the Duponts. The collection largely represents a narrow geographic region consisting of Pennsylvania German objects and was accumulated over four decades. Robert L. Schaeffer, Jr. purchased quilt from Hatti Brunner (1890-1982), Antiques dealer from Reinholds, Pennsylvania in the 1960nulls.
83 x 88 inches